Friends Like Us

Who, in a world with satellite television, does not know F.R.I.E.N.D.S?


More importantly, who does not like them? I know I did, still do in fact :O) - even if Star World is over doing it a tad bit. Makes you wonder if they don't have ANY other sitcom they could air but this one. And trust me, there are some brilliant ones out there.

When hubby comes home from work, the norm is to sit together with a cup of chai and watch the funnies on Star World. It usually coincides with the double episode of FRIENDS every evening, which we sit through just to watch what ever comes after. Today though, they played the last episode of Season 10 followed by the first episode of Season 1!!! I was hit with nostalgia as I travelled back in time to the nineties! I still remember the day in high school when all we could talk about was the previous night's episode when the Friends gang watches the prom night video (when Ross was supposed to take Rachel because her date ditched her). As a teen, we could all relate to it and found it terribly romantic. Today, I still can't say if that was my favourite episode when compared to Monica's proposal to Chandler, or Phoebe's street wedding to Mike! There are a million lovable episodes inbetween, from "Smelly Cat" to when Rachel discovers she's pregnant but at the end of the day there's something for everyone! Of course back then it only played once a week and not every day. We loved it - not just because it was "our time" but because it gave us hope in our teen years, that we would be okay no matter what, if we had friends like that. That hope has not diminished. Of course, in reality, a teen wouldn't have ANYTHING in common with a working twenty-something - the values were different, the responsibilities were different, and you paid your own rent! But one thing we can relate to is the 90's fashion!

When I saw Season 1 today, I was simply blown away by how natural and innocent Rachel looked with her wavy hair, Joey with a mushroom cut and Phoebe in pigtails!!! The clothes were baggy - open checked shirts with a t-shirt inside, spaghetti strap dresses, denim shirts, dungarees, pallazzo pants, waist coats, high-back sneakers and HIGH RISE jeans - I still feel my "six pack" is a result of the transition to low waisters!!! I missed my youth (and the flat tummy) more than ever...

Compare that with the fashion and sophistication of Season 10 with the perfectly ironed hair - their transition was so smooth!


Rachel working for Ralph Lauren TOTALLY justified her awesome wardrobe - though personally, Phoebe's style was the only one I could relate to - she combined hippy and elegance with such panache! The three women are still as thin as they were ten years ago, but the men have packed on the distinguished pounds and all of them have lines of maturity etched into their faces. When I look at pictures of me ten years ago, there isn't MUCH of a difference (except that my weight has shifted from one area to another) - which made me realise it's the 30s that will truly define that transition from youth to adult and I better enjoy them before they fly by! When I asked a friend to watch P.S. I Love You all she could say was how "awful" Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe) looked. Give her a break! You are comparing Lisa Kudrow today to Phoebe from ten years ago!!!

There are loads of trivia, bloopers, extras, quizzes and interviews you could get on them on the Internet today. In fact, the bloopers show you just how much fun they had working together. Every one plays a Friends quiz, if anything to convince themselves that they're still with it. When college kids today state that Friends is their favourite TV show, I wonder if it is because it's now become a cult following or because they genuinely like what they see. Then I realise it doesn't matter. Plenty of other brilliant sitcoms have emerged since Friends but few are what Indian censor boards would consider appropriate. In Friends, sex is portrayed as an extremely casual affair - but laced with such good humour that one cannot find any vulgarity in it. Phoebe's madness, Chandler's quick wit, Ross's sarcasm, Monica's cleanliness quirks, Joey's innocence and Rachel's comic timing bring joy to our lives that's beyond compare. THIS makes us laugh, and we'll take what we get, even if it's ten years too late.

I'm not sure I can call this a tribute cos then it would be quite a sad one - there is just too much to say in one post and it sure wouldn't be any different from what millions of others feel. But it sure is a wonderful feeling when a TV show can take you back in time, to a time you can relate to with fond memories. The most heart-wrenching moment was the final episode. I cannot imagine there being a greater television phenomenon than them :o(


P.S.: If you're wondering about my title - that was the original title of Friends :O)

Comments

  1. i still watch it everyday..laugh at the same jokes again and Ro thinks i've seriously lost it...and need to GROW UP..who cares what he think..i could watch them forever. My fav was Monica proposing..it was so awfully romantic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, i know its so sweet and all..but now i just dont get to watch it anymore. I guess i have shifted to other sitcoms....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just yesterday, I was telling someone that i am aching to FRIENDS. It has been 4 years. I feel sooo miserable. I am hoping someday that someone gifts me all the episodes.:D

    I totally identify with Monica (the cleanliness freak bit of her and also with Chandler who uses humour as a way of masking his real issues!

    You write really well. I scrolled down to find that you stay in Hyderabad. Is your pet Hyde short for Hyderabad? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Open Book: Nish why does the world always feel we need to grow up? Doesn't Nature take that out of our hands any way??? :o(

    @ Enigma: Wow Kel, it's great that you guys have that kind of variety - we depend on the Net for all ours :O( ...speaking of which, do you guys like Boston Legal? We have abandoned House, How I Met your Mother, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, and some others just for this. I LOVE my court house dramas as much as hospital dramas! :P

    @ Butterfly: thank you for floating by :O)
    Yup m newly married n new to Hyderabad. How ever, our little one was actually named after a character called Hyde in a sitcom called "That 70's Show". I think now it's quite apt cos he's getting to be as rowdy as his namesake. It is weird how the name coincides with the city though...hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D Aah! The 70's show. Today i was looking u up on my dashboard and could swear that I added you yesterday as 'reflections'. All the time muttering to myself that I have 3 'reflections' and won't know who's who! :D Good u changed ur name!
    I stay in Hyderabad too. Terribly hot here, what u say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo! That's exactly why I changed it too! :O) Saw 3 of them on your list and decided a change was due any way...
    As for Hyderabad - it's a slow roast, rub me up with salt n chilli and m good to eat. There's no incentive to leave the house when you have to stand in the sun and wait for an auto.

    We should meet up for coffee some time :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. jane... who doenst like friends? i ve seen seinfeld fans in the US hate FRIENDS cos its so teenagy! but its a super hit in india cos we can relate more to it than other american sitcoms. and yes the younger gen today still can relate to it since we r movin at a slower pace i guess! and humor never dies of course... and about the fashion part, cnat agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo! I am not a fan of Seinfeld and it's not for everybody. I'd enjoy it once but not continuous repeats. Even when Friends was at its peak, Jerry was being offered more than the Friends stars to bring Seinfeld back. I don't mean to say Friends is THE most brilliant sitcom - but I do believe they were/are the biggest - globally speaking. What is commonly popular does not make it the best.

    It appeals to us because it's about six very good looking young people with very ordinary problems - very filmy. It is "teenagy" because it came out in our teens...hence the nostalgia. My point is exactly that, the USA has plenty of brilliant sitcoms coming and going - so they are not gonna tolerate repeats. Indians have to make do with Friends, My Wife and Kids, and According to Jim, because other sitcoms are too risque. How ever, I wouldn't say the younger generation is moving slowly - they are downloading plenty of popular sitcoms from the Net. Many of them are up to date with current, US episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey jane,
    We do get a lot of the englisg shows here. It might not all be the current seson, but still its upto date and then do show each season as they get it I guess. And i do miss it wen the season is over: Some that i watch and some i used to are: Gray's anatomy, Ghost Whisperer, NCIS, Fringe, law and order SVU, 24, Without a trace, ER, Bones, 20:20, 8 simple rules, crossing jordan, medium, Medical investigation, Killer Instincts, Still standing, Commander-in-chief, MONK, Missing, Numbers etc tec... But now the english ones have reduced in the eve and i dont get to see most...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paralysis

A Picture Speaks