A Picture Speaks
I was tagged by Renu and the rules are:
- Pick the 6th picture of your 6th photo folder.
- Tell a story around it.
- Pass it on to six other people you like.
So when I saw this a few days ago I was like: Oh my God please don't let it be a picture of me looking cross-eyed or something equally bad. Even before I checked to see what the picture was I was tempted to select any "cool" picture from one of my albums and pass if off as the 6th of the 6th. How ever, to be fair, I arranged my folders according to Name, and then looked. And this is what I found:

These are my last set of college gal pals. I say last because I have been to 4 colleges so far in my life, and a degree and two post graduations later the greatest lesson I have learned is that GOOD friends are REALLY hard to find. (If my mother hears of this she would say "You didn't have to waste my money on college tuition to learn THAT - I could have told you for FREE!) This picture was taken when we went bowling - a farewell party of sorts. We had ordered mocktails (or was it cocktails?) and were generally acting very silly, high on life and the spirit of the moment but deep down, scared of what the future held for us. Maybe I should just speak for myself here. This was not a reflection of our confidence in our abilities but more a fear becoming "responsible" and getting our act together. No more "care free, partying, calling home for money" mode. The fact that I am about 2-6 years older than them makes it worse because I have no excuse for not having made something of my life.
I see that a picture that's meant to kindle fond memories is actually turning out to be a lament on why I am such a loser. What REALLY pushed me to get down to this Tag was this picture which I saw on Nat Geo a few minutes ago (I subscribe to their online newsletter) :
The first image appeared on the cover of National Geographic in 1985. I STILL have a tattered poster of this image from my school days. This Afghan girl has haunted many with her eyes. The suffering she has been through is evident. What really touched my heart is the fact that we're both women, we're both the same age and yet the paths we walked were so different and it shaped our lives accordingly. When I see this picture, I realize how lightly I take the wealth of opportunities that have come my way. If I make a promise now to grab every opportunity it would be in poor taste, because it would fall among the pile of many promises I have made to myself over the years. Let this image then merely serve as a reminder that I DID have good intentions for my life, and perhaps when I look back on life 5 years from now I will have less regret and more patience.
These are my last set of college gal pals. I say last because I have been to 4 colleges so far in my life, and a degree and two post graduations later the greatest lesson I have learned is that GOOD friends are REALLY hard to find. (If my mother hears of this she would say "You didn't have to waste my money on college tuition to learn THAT - I could have told you for FREE!) This picture was taken when we went bowling - a farewell party of sorts. We had ordered mocktails (or was it cocktails?) and were generally acting very silly, high on life and the spirit of the moment but deep down, scared of what the future held for us. Maybe I should just speak for myself here. This was not a reflection of our confidence in our abilities but more a fear becoming "responsible" and getting our act together. No more "care free, partying, calling home for money" mode. The fact that I am about 2-6 years older than them makes it worse because I have no excuse for not having made something of my life.
I see that a picture that's meant to kindle fond memories is actually turning out to be a lament on why I am such a loser. What REALLY pushed me to get down to this Tag was this picture which I saw on Nat Geo a few minutes ago (I subscribe to their online newsletter) :
The first image appeared on the cover of National Geographic in 1985. I STILL have a tattered poster of this image from my school days. This Afghan girl has haunted many with her eyes. The suffering she has been through is evident. What really touched my heart is the fact that we're both women, we're both the same age and yet the paths we walked were so different and it shaped our lives accordingly. When I see this picture, I realize how lightly I take the wealth of opportunities that have come my way. If I make a promise now to grab every opportunity it would be in poor taste, because it would fall among the pile of many promises I have made to myself over the years. Let this image then merely serve as a reminder that I DID have good intentions for my life, and perhaps when I look back on life 5 years from now I will have less regret and more patience.

You have put such a lively pictue with such a pessimistic post why? As my blog sdays..life is not fair but good, and it is more important how we take it and what we make it.
ReplyDeleteI dont know the reason for your regret, but life laways has so much in store for all of us that we must always remain oprtimistic.
Thanks for taking up the tag !
I thought I commented here:-(...
ReplyDeleteA picture taken at the crossroads of life...nice:-)).
"when I look back on life 5 years from now I will have less regret and more patience."
I second tht.....for u & myself ie;-P
Hi Renu-ji
ReplyDeleteThe post wasn't intentionally pessimistic...or maybe it was if it comes from my heart. I guess what I normally do is just let what ever is in my head be spoken out loud. Usually, one thought leads to another. For the most part my writing is sad and depressing or humourous - but rarely will it be a happy one because in that happiness lies a lot of self doubt - like, do I have a right to be this happy? So I rarely make that feeling known. The regret is from always feeling that I could have done MORE with my life. My dad always used to tell me that the years fly by in a blink of an eye and that we should fulfill our purpose in life and make it count. I dunno if you believe in star signs but as a Piscean, it is my nature doubt myself - the sad part is KNOWING this has not helped me change... :o)
Hi Nance - thanks for stopping by :O)
lovely tag... suc introspection... am i tagged by anyone on this? i need to have a look around i guess been ages i blogged!
ReplyDeleteawww, i was just wondering how to tackle this tag....but where do i get the snap from?? which album?
ReplyDeleteand who is the girl in the yellow tshirt da? she looks very familiar...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteTa daaaaaaaaaa...im a blogger tooo:)
ReplyDeletewhy is my comment not appearing??????//
ReplyDeletem here to tell u that m bak in blogosphere, wud love to have u read my latest post and leave ur valued comments! :)
ReplyDeleteComment on ur comment - U do have a right to be happy. Every one does.. :)
ReplyDelete