Mum Knows Best
Today is my mother's birthday. I am sitting at work as I type this, with the deep hope that tears don't spill over and plop on my keyboard, and that colleagues don't turn to me with a look of questioning concern.
I miss my Mum. I only tell one person this repeatedly, and that's my better half. I first left home at 19, and now almost ten years later, I miss her more than ever before. There were random holidays when my folks would come down to India but they had to share their time and love with everyone, and in that process I often took out my frustrations on her. I then got a second chance to spend almost a year with them. I did. But I screwed up there as well. So many other issues in our lives came in the way - to a point where she must have wondered if I am really her daughter or did someone switch babies on her.
This is lost time that I will never get back. She was always a mum to me. Dad was the best buddy. I know for many women the definition of "Mother" is "best friend", but not so in my case. My Amma threw her heart and soul into her career all through our youth - at times I have even accused her of being selfish. Today, two post graduations later and often taking the wayward path for most of my life, she is the one I call (shamelessly) for money - the same money she slogged for all our lives. Of course she ensured that we were never neglected - Dad took charge at home, and by default became our best buddy, because he put in time with us. (I can't stress more strongly how much the impression of time stays with a child - this hit me more so when a childhood friend, recently married, told me she'd consider taking a job she disliked for more money just so she could give her (yet-to-be-born) children "everything". A seemingly noble gesture I told her, to everyone but the child.)
I can't speak for my brother, but I know that the few times Mum actually tried to forge a bond with us I pushed her away, rebelled. She wouldn't do any of the "fun" stuff (most of which involved spending money we didn't have) and I always felt she had a soft spot for my brother (which I suppose he could accuse me of when it came to Dad).
But my Mum always surprised me during the most unexpected moments by standing by my side when it really counted. The moments I thought only Dad would. I never realised just how much she and I could have connected had I given her the chance - maybe how much different my life would have been. I don't have any regrets about what I've done with my life, but I know that if I had kept her in the loop I could have hurt a lot less people in the process. At this juncture, I KNOW these days are by far the most difficult I have experienced and I want everyone to know just how grateful I am to have her by my side. I also want her to know, but declarations of love have always been mocked in our family - actions always spoke louder. Of course she is still an ocean away but she calls every week now to check on me - and that means a lot to me. Another strong influence have been both my grandmothers. I strongly believe God was delegating His tasks to them - because though He can do anything and everything, He can't do it all NOW.
As much as I love the men in my life, they all come second to the women who live strongly in my heart, in the various spheres of my life. Nothing can be more difficult for them than to have to choose between their child's well being and their spouse's bruised emotions. At some point in our lives we have/will disappoint our parents. It's only a matter of when. There are various levels of expectations - my dad's was that we win the Nobel Prize :O)
Being the good child is hard when both the parent and child have their own chosen paths. My folks have overlooked all my disappointments quite easily when compared to most people I know. It is even harder to rebuild that bond with all the shattered pieces. However, I shall not lose hope. I shall persevere. Because one day (God willing) I shall be in their shoes. And as far as I know, no one handles disappontment as badly as I do :O)
I miss my Mum. I only tell one person this repeatedly, and that's my better half. I first left home at 19, and now almost ten years later, I miss her more than ever before. There were random holidays when my folks would come down to India but they had to share their time and love with everyone, and in that process I often took out my frustrations on her. I then got a second chance to spend almost a year with them. I did. But I screwed up there as well. So many other issues in our lives came in the way - to a point where she must have wondered if I am really her daughter or did someone switch babies on her.
This is lost time that I will never get back. She was always a mum to me. Dad was the best buddy. I know for many women the definition of "Mother" is "best friend", but not so in my case. My Amma threw her heart and soul into her career all through our youth - at times I have even accused her of being selfish. Today, two post graduations later and often taking the wayward path for most of my life, she is the one I call (shamelessly) for money - the same money she slogged for all our lives. Of course she ensured that we were never neglected - Dad took charge at home, and by default became our best buddy, because he put in time with us. (I can't stress more strongly how much the impression of time stays with a child - this hit me more so when a childhood friend, recently married, told me she'd consider taking a job she disliked for more money just so she could give her (yet-to-be-born) children "everything". A seemingly noble gesture I told her, to everyone but the child.)
I can't speak for my brother, but I know that the few times Mum actually tried to forge a bond with us I pushed her away, rebelled. She wouldn't do any of the "fun" stuff (most of which involved spending money we didn't have) and I always felt she had a soft spot for my brother (which I suppose he could accuse me of when it came to Dad).
But my Mum always surprised me during the most unexpected moments by standing by my side when it really counted. The moments I thought only Dad would. I never realised just how much she and I could have connected had I given her the chance - maybe how much different my life would have been. I don't have any regrets about what I've done with my life, but I know that if I had kept her in the loop I could have hurt a lot less people in the process. At this juncture, I KNOW these days are by far the most difficult I have experienced and I want everyone to know just how grateful I am to have her by my side. I also want her to know, but declarations of love have always been mocked in our family - actions always spoke louder. Of course she is still an ocean away but she calls every week now to check on me - and that means a lot to me. Another strong influence have been both my grandmothers. I strongly believe God was delegating His tasks to them - because though He can do anything and everything, He can't do it all NOW.
As much as I love the men in my life, they all come second to the women who live strongly in my heart, in the various spheres of my life. Nothing can be more difficult for them than to have to choose between their child's well being and their spouse's bruised emotions. At some point in our lives we have/will disappoint our parents. It's only a matter of when. There are various levels of expectations - my dad's was that we win the Nobel Prize :O)
Being the good child is hard when both the parent and child have their own chosen paths. My folks have overlooked all my disappointments quite easily when compared to most people I know. It is even harder to rebuild that bond with all the shattered pieces. However, I shall not lose hope. I shall persevere. Because one day (God willing) I shall be in their shoes. And as far as I know, no one handles disappontment as badly as I do :O)
i let disappointment handle me ... it takes me over completely n kills everythin ... its affected my life to the worst... so i guess ur better in someway.. mayb
ReplyDeletebout mom.. u kno mine n i r best friends like u said.. but frankly it was not so wen i was a kid i did bond with dad more, but now i kno whose there for me so well since i learnt it the hard way..
i read meloncholy in ur words... cheer up gal :) mum knows best and she's there for you...no worries!
cheer up da...humm i know wat u r goin through....good to know that ur mom is there to support u through da....someone is na..thats really good....
ReplyDeletethings will turn for the better and it will go well...dont worry too much....humm i know abt the disappointments and stuff...i am a living example for so many things u told....
anyway cheer up dear
so emotional post, came here from Swarna,It is never too late to bond with ur mother, being a mother of grown up daughter, i can say so that u will make her very happy by showing ur feelings. Mothers always love that.and they will be always there for their daughter.
ReplyDeleteits a very honest post and only good human beings can do that, and u will be a good mother I know:)
A beautiful post....brought back a lot of memories:-(.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine ur pain but it is not too late at all.....just a heart to heart talk away.
TALK TO HER. All the bitterness will melt away.
I'll tell u one more thing....
ur guilt has made it all BIG in ur mind.....just reach out.
"As much as I love the men in my life, they all come second to the women who live strongly in my heart, in the various spheres of my life."
U've echoed my thoughts here:-).
Thank you all for your support - it means a lot to me.
ReplyDeleteDear Reflections:
It's true what you said about my guilt making this even bigger than it is. I guess the first step is in learning to forgive ourselves - if that is even possible.