See This Face

Hyde's First Visit to the Vet
Scene 1: Hyde doing the hoppity, skippity, jump jump jump, turn, head bang, swirl, etc. on the table.
Mummy (Me): Hyde!!! Stand still!!! He's just trying to clip your nails!
Dr. Vet: (with tone of grave wisdom) Aaaah...he's spoilt rotten and knows he can get away with anything.
Daddy (R) points finger at the culprit (Mum), Dr. Vet laughs
Mum: (Sad eyes, forlorn voice) It is SO difficult to discipline a puppy!
Dr. Vet: (using exasperated tone) NO! It is difficult to discipline OURSELVES!
Dad laughs, he will get it when we get home...grrr...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Our baby had a urinary infection for the past two days - which we knew with the help of Google. Welcome to parenting in the 21st century. We rushed him to the vet only today, because she told us it's not a big deal. Yeah right! It was a mission to get the medicine she prescribed into his mouth via those syringe tubes. If you read half the doggy literature on Google, you too would be convinced he had kidney failure and was going blind. Some times I get up at night just to see that he is okay, and that he isn't suffocating on a plastic bag I was careless enough to leave behind, or chewing on the gas cylinder tube and going unconscious because he inhaled the gas. I have come to accept this madness as a part of who I am.
Thing is, our little man is a good boy most of the time. He doesn't cause us too much trouble. The trouble actually lies with me, when I ASSUME he understands the long conversations I have with him. As soon as he wakes from his naps he comes running to me, his ears flopping up n down. He usually nips my hand, or jumps n licks. Once when I was having a really emotional day, bawling my eyes out, he just sat there n looked at me, then lay down and put his head on my feet as if to say, "I'm here for you." Pretty astute for someone so little. Our vet tells us he is actually two weeks younger than what we were told (29 days) - which makes me want to kill the guy we bought him from. No wonder he looked so scared and lost - he was missing his mum, and her milk. Apparently, dogs with his white colouring (coat) are more prone to infections - what more does a ultra-paranoid mother need to hear? I have a difficult enough time as it is getting him to poop in one place. Our vet is an awesome lady - I felt so comfortable with her and with the place. We saw so many people there with their gorgeous dogs, their love displayed for the world to see. Some were open and friendly, some were protective of their dogs, some bemused and some downright worried. When I looked them in the eye, I sensed an understanding - as though they were saying, "Welcome to this wonderful world, now that you're here you can never go back".
With this experience I see my husband in a whole new light - as a parent. He is SO patient. Our deal was that we would wake up at 6am, take Hyde for a walk, etc. but only hubby does so religiously while I snore away. When he is strict, he is REALLY strict, but he also overlooks the little one's mischief more than I do. I just lose it, give Hyde a tight smack on the bottom, see him crawl away from me under the table with his sad puppy eyes, and then I feel SO bad and go after him - "Awwww...m SORRY my DAAAARLING, my baaaaybeee, m so SORREEEEE..." (For further cootchie-cooing see picture above and THEN judge me)
I always saw myself as a great disciplinarian - that my household would be a dictatorship, but hubby says our kids will take me for a long ride, and then leave me there! Sometimes I am in awe at how little I know myself. My college NCC days was probably what put the notion in my head that I would command and the little ones would obey. But this guy just looks at me like I'm a raving lunatic, gives me a nonchalant shrug and walks away.
I always wanted a dog ever since I was little, but I also imagined having a small house with a huge garden and the open outdoors - an idyllic Enid Blyton farmhouse setting. I was very apprehensive about keeping one in an apartment, not so much for MY sake but for the sake of the dog. I grew up watching Born Free so keeping a free-spirited animal such as a dog, whose soul joy (pun intended) is in running, jumping and knocking things over, in a closed up apartment seemed like the greatest cruelty ever. But hubby has raised two dogs of his own and convinced me that the difficulty would be more for us than for him, and so long as we stick to a strict regimen we would all be just fine. Now that he's here, and about 70% of my day goes in mopping my floors - I cannot imagine our life without him.
Our son, our first born - he rocks our world.
P.S.: I strongly recommend watching Born Free if you have not already watched it.
P.P.S.: Dear Nancy and Neetu - I tried doing the "25 Random Things About Me" tag - really I did. Believe me, believe me PLEASE! But after reaching No. 12, I have enough matter for a mega serial (4 pages) and I really don't want to put my readers through all that drama. I am not able to keep it short either because one of my random quirks is that I NEED to explain WHY I am the way I am. However, I will publish a book one day and if you will waste your money buying it, you can gave fun trying to decipher how much of it is fact and how much fiction. Me not gonna continue that post for now...
Aww that was adorable. I can so imagine how paranoid you can be (neetu rem the newgen days?)
ReplyDeleteYou would be an awesome mom di..Im having trouble keeping my orange tree alive, leave alone a dog or a child.
haha... lol, nish am sure you're not gonna find it that difficult after all! jane, babe i so understand what you're going through! arent they such adorable friendly lil devils... i miss muffin like crazy and everytime i visit him at elvis' house, i feel that hes yelling at me asking where the hell did you go all this while! :( you guys take good care of him and have great fun... he'll jus fill your world!
ReplyDeleteawwww he looks sho shweet.
ReplyDeleteIn many ways they r just like children.
U knw I had a dog first & then children. Whenever my daughter did something in a particular way I used to exclaim "She's doing it just like how Cookie used to"
My sister used to nod understandingly but the husband[who isnt used to pets] used to take offense at my comparing his darling daughter to a dog;-P
Hope Hyde is feeling better now:-)).
Now U've aroused my curiosity......write it all down & put it up. If not for us, one day ur kids will get to read their mama's quirks & incidents in her life which she wd have never told them otherwise;-D
PUT IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!
awwwww!!!! it really is a sweeetie pie. I enjoyed reading ur post di. And m slowly getting over my dog fears. Yeah, nishi, i remember the newgen days.
ReplyDeleteAnd its OK, we like drama. So do publish tat post when ur done. M sure it will be a huge hit!!!
Yo! Lots to reply to I see. I will get down to that asap. First of all...I also suggest watching "Marley and Me" - I watched it last night and it was really worth the wait. More importantly, it'll touch the hearts of ANY ONE, even those who don't really like dogs. Keeping this in mind, I bawled my heart out, naturally - NO, it was not that time of the month.
ReplyDeleteTo those who watched it: did you see something puffy about Jennifer Aniston's face? Or am I just being too judgmental considering "Friends" is STILL playing on TV after 10 years?
Neetu and Nish: one of you remind me of these "Newgen days" - I get the strong feeling I gave you guys a lot to laugh about :O)
First of all, thank you ALL for your lovely comments :O)
ReplyDelete@ Open Book: Thanks babes. For your info - you TOO will make a great mum. It seems scary I know but we all have each other to go to for help or advice :O)
@ Blindwreck: Kudos to you for managing a pregnancy AND a puppy :O)I really dunno how you do it di...
@ Reflections: Thanks for sharing Nancy - what kind of a dog was Cookie?
@ Pointblank: Thaank you Neetu babes. Just read your post on having children - it'll be a great read ten years down the line when you have a brood of your own :O)
well id like to discuss the newgen days here but im not sure its a good idea and ud really want your readers to know all the wacko stuff u used 2 do...
ReplyDeletehey jane, heheh i can understand the feeling...that pup of urs is damn cute too...wen i came down, i spoilt that new lab pup rotten and it was like as if my hands were his chewing bone or something and i had to keep hitting him coz in the end the pain would make me do that...but next minute i would feel sorry and spoil it again...my sis-in -law was telling that i am teaching it all unwanted habits, spoiling it rotten and that it would expect the same from me...they were so surprised to see the dog hugging me LOL....they sure need lots of space to paly around i guess and i feel good that he is in D's hse, rather than in an apt...LOL I am also thankful that mom inlaw is there to wake up early and take him out of the cage and stuff, feed it etc....i dont think i would hav woken up to feed it on time and all....
ReplyDeleteaww tell me about the movie marley n me di... it really freaked me out esp the end! i jus saw muffin in marley except for the fact that muffin is so much more cuter :D but yes, it taught me some things on the behaviour of a lab, interestingm, isnt it? oh btw, both of us share a fawn lab :D they're the best i tell u! and oh, about me managing a pregnancy AND a pup, i think u should ask elvis about it!!! am quite surprised myself!! :D
ReplyDelete@ Open Book
ReplyDeleteHaaaaHA! Neets...I still think we should have a talk some time...before truth becomes fiction at some point in our lives. We all have an active imagination!
@ Enigma
ReplyDeleteHey Kel yours is also a Lab right? Yeah they are like super friendly animals...will go to any body and lavish affection...which is apparently why they make lousy guard dogs I hear. Some times I wonder what on earth I'll do once I start work...it sucks to leave him home alone even to buy groceries :O(
@ Blindwreck
ReplyDeleteI hate sad endings too but this one was inevitable I suppose. I'm beginning to think getting this guy was a good idea after all. I always thought I'll have the kids first and then get THEM dogs to play with n look after but this guy is really testing my limits...and I am loving it!!! :O)
He is adorable! I am a big dog lover too. had two while growing up.
ReplyDeleteCheers
preeti