Enlightenment
I haven't written anything for some time now. To be honest, with the exams around the corner, followed by the really sad job interviews I've attended, and the complete lack of interest in doing anything worthwhile with my life has left me totally disconnected with everyone and everything. I'm on a break now, giving myself some time to "get away from it all". A friend gave me two DVDs to watch - evangelical conferences by a man called Louis Giglio called "Indescribable" and "How Great is our God". If you're a Christian, or "think" you are one, I recommend you watch it. In these talks he has described the beauty of God's creations with a scientific approach. Religion and science working hand in hand? Yup! And beautifully too.
I was confused with the workings of Religion, or Spirituality as some call it, for many years and I didn't really have a relationship with God as was intended by my Christian upbringing. In 2007, an adventure camp with WAC (We Amplify Christ) - a Chennai based Christian youth group - brought so many questions to light. I have come to understand that God works in mysterious ways and while He is always present in our lives, it is we who have to go in search of him to feel His presence. It doesn't matter which church we belong to. It SHOULDN'T matter. People claim to be Christians but what they take actually pride in is the church they belong to. Because belonging to any one church has its own benefits and associations - social mobility, power, respect amongst their own people. It is such aspects that take away the 'spirit' in spirituality and causes division and prejudice.
I remember once many years ago, when I forwarded an interesting article to many friends, one replied saying, "So, you're still out to save the world eh?" I remember feeling acute embarassment then. If I knew then what I know now, I would have defended my actions. What's wrong with wanting to save the world? Everyone has their own super hero - mine is Jesus Christ. I feel that with His guiding hand I can do wonders. I don't claim to be humble, moral or even remotely saintly - but if we all worked towards that, I think the world would be a much safer place to live in.
I was confused with the workings of Religion, or Spirituality as some call it, for many years and I didn't really have a relationship with God as was intended by my Christian upbringing. In 2007, an adventure camp with WAC (We Amplify Christ) - a Chennai based Christian youth group - brought so many questions to light. I have come to understand that God works in mysterious ways and while He is always present in our lives, it is we who have to go in search of him to feel His presence. It doesn't matter which church we belong to. It SHOULDN'T matter. People claim to be Christians but what they take actually pride in is the church they belong to. Because belonging to any one church has its own benefits and associations - social mobility, power, respect amongst their own people. It is such aspects that take away the 'spirit' in spirituality and causes division and prejudice.
I remember once many years ago, when I forwarded an interesting article to many friends, one replied saying, "So, you're still out to save the world eh?" I remember feeling acute embarassment then. If I knew then what I know now, I would have defended my actions. What's wrong with wanting to save the world? Everyone has their own super hero - mine is Jesus Christ. I feel that with His guiding hand I can do wonders. I don't claim to be humble, moral or even remotely saintly - but if we all worked towards that, I think the world would be a much safer place to live in.
"People claim to be Christians but what they take actually pride in is the church they belong to. .........division and prejudice."
ReplyDeleteU have put it exactly like how it is.
"Everyone has their own super hero - mine is Jesus Christ. I feel that with His guiding hand I can do wonders. I don't claim to be humble, moral or even remotely saintly - but if we all worked towards that, I think the world would be a much safer place to live in."
The above is soo touching....beautiful. Actually I dont have anything to add coz u said it all....& yes My superhero is Jesus Christ too:-).
Thank you Nancy :O)God bless...
ReplyDelete