All Cried Out
I hate confrontations. But I rush headlong into them anyway because if it doesn't get resolved immediately, it'll eat me up. I can always justify my actions because I am good with words, but my body language and my wild wild hair speak a different story. I hate confrontations because I am short tempered and prone to quick flare-ups. I can get real "cheap", use every bit of ammunition I can find to fight my war, and that is ALWAYS my greatest downfall. The upside is that I am as quick to forgive and accept apologies - but by then it's too much said too soon, and too late to repair the damage.
Quite recently, three strangers (two profs and a friend's friend) described me in their own (sweet?) way - rebellious (and negative), intimidating, and aggressive. None of them knew me all that well, which got me wondering "how am I projecting myself to the rest of the world"? I have noticed a very obvious change in my personality over the past two years - there is a lot of anger and resentment in me. Not towards any person in specific but towards mankind as a whole. I go out in search of arguments and fights. I say the meanest things that hurt the people I love most. I hate the maniac I am slowly becoming. I don't what the root cause of this anger is but I'd give anything to find out. It could even be PMS or work-related stress, I really don't know! The last thing I want is to be melodramatic about the things that suck in my life - I don't want to be this sad princess who needs rescuing. I don't need rescuing.
My better half often asks me why we can't discuss anything serious without me eventually bursting into tears. Tears are not a woman's weapon - it is her downfall. Once you get into that trap of crying just so he'll hear you out, you're doomed. Men don't listen - and have been programmed to respond to tears. Women cry as a last resort because every other option of trying to communicate as a "reasonable person" goes flying out the window when men get that glazed look in their eyes. Then it's just intense fury that sets in because you may want strangle him but you know he'll swat you away like a fly with a flick of his wrist. They choose public places to drive you up the wall - leaving you with the option of screaming like a shrew or walk away with some dignity intact. The bottling up of this frustration is what leads to the opening of the floodgates. It's not the same sweet n salty tears that one sheds when they're sad. It has all the bitterness of anger, frustration, irritation and humiliation in it - taste and see. We cry because that's the only time people really open their eyes and notice we have a problem.
I hate confrontation because it might make me cry and THAT I hate more than anything else. Of course it'll only happen with those I genuinely care about - the rest of the world be damned, but that's what makes it all the more difficult to deal with. I cry, I worry, I obsess, I run to find a dictionary cos I'm not sure how to SPELL 'obsess'! Most of all, I am scared to lose the one person in my life - I am scared he will find my violence too much of a burden to bear in the long run. He has put up with so much from me, so much more than love and duty requires him to. As is usual with most men, the vacant expression on his face that shows almost no emotion only makes me imagine the worst for our future.
I would have left me long ago...what is he waiting for?
Quite recently, three strangers (two profs and a friend's friend) described me in their own (sweet?) way - rebellious (and negative), intimidating, and aggressive. None of them knew me all that well, which got me wondering "how am I projecting myself to the rest of the world"? I have noticed a very obvious change in my personality over the past two years - there is a lot of anger and resentment in me. Not towards any person in specific but towards mankind as a whole. I go out in search of arguments and fights. I say the meanest things that hurt the people I love most. I hate the maniac I am slowly becoming. I don't what the root cause of this anger is but I'd give anything to find out. It could even be PMS or work-related stress, I really don't know! The last thing I want is to be melodramatic about the things that suck in my life - I don't want to be this sad princess who needs rescuing. I don't need rescuing.
My better half often asks me why we can't discuss anything serious without me eventually bursting into tears. Tears are not a woman's weapon - it is her downfall. Once you get into that trap of crying just so he'll hear you out, you're doomed. Men don't listen - and have been programmed to respond to tears. Women cry as a last resort because every other option of trying to communicate as a "reasonable person" goes flying out the window when men get that glazed look in their eyes. Then it's just intense fury that sets in because you may want strangle him but you know he'll swat you away like a fly with a flick of his wrist. They choose public places to drive you up the wall - leaving you with the option of screaming like a shrew or walk away with some dignity intact. The bottling up of this frustration is what leads to the opening of the floodgates. It's not the same sweet n salty tears that one sheds when they're sad. It has all the bitterness of anger, frustration, irritation and humiliation in it - taste and see. We cry because that's the only time people really open their eyes and notice we have a problem.
I hate confrontation because it might make me cry and THAT I hate more than anything else. Of course it'll only happen with those I genuinely care about - the rest of the world be damned, but that's what makes it all the more difficult to deal with. I cry, I worry, I obsess, I run to find a dictionary cos I'm not sure how to SPELL 'obsess'! Most of all, I am scared to lose the one person in my life - I am scared he will find my violence too much of a burden to bear in the long run. He has put up with so much from me, so much more than love and duty requires him to. As is usual with most men, the vacant expression on his face that shows almost no emotion only makes me imagine the worst for our future.
I would have left me long ago...what is he waiting for?
Some fight with we know who!!! Well... fights can always bring out the worst in u! But then he also knows how nice u are when u not fighting. And tat makes him stay on. So u mite have left u long time back, but he didnt. Cuz he is NOT u. He probably finds a missing piece of himself in u.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I dunno whether there is such thing as 'unconditional love' in any relationship. We all watch out for ourselves in th end. We fall in love cuz WE want to fall in love, and NOT to make the other person feel loved!!! Parents decide to have kids cuz they want to fill some kinda vaccum in their lives, and not cuz they wanna give life to some unborn baby!!! So yeah, even between fights and tears, make sure u treat tat special person in ur life just tat way - as special!
PS: I know u hate long lengthy lectuers. But I cant help it!
hey dear,
ReplyDeletehumm wat can i say wow..okk now udo sound like me.... :P u can ask D to understand y he has not left me...any normal person in a sane mind would have done so many years ago....believe me u wouldt have put him through anything like i put D through..i daily break it off with him, i make him cry to wat not..now i am the most meanest person on earth..i know...but even after so much of suffering he has not left and he still says he loves me coz he understands me etc...
well that must exactly b y R has not left..he loves U..he knows u and understands u.
Ya i know we shouldnt use tears, it shouldnt happen so often that finally they lose value for the tears...
dont worry we all go through this pahse in life and it will become normal again...its just so many other tensions that is creating the nager and all that...u sub conscious mind does hav many tensions and i know u do hav worries...it will all work out..dont think of unnecessary things now..just take one day at a time...
@ Pointblank
ReplyDeleteIt was actually a fight I had with a girl in hostel over some hygiene issues that actually started off this ranting - she deserved every bit of crap I sent flying her way but I'm the one that felt like s*** - but in this story I focused on the fights that really mattered. My tension over this matter made me overact and blow up the genuinely innocent issues I had with Reuben. If many women feel like this, then as a sisterhood we have a duty to get it resolved. It can't go on - it's so unfair to the men.
Bring on the lovely long lectures :O)
@ Enigma
ReplyDeleteWhile writing this, all I could think of were your fights with D...so in a way it wasn't a surprise really :O) I guess I should be grateful for that. The problem is obviously not with R or D but with us and the way in which we deal with such situations...as women we're testing our ground. Most women we know would have been married within a year or two of knowing the guy. Those of us who have had to wait a long time get impatient, irritated with all the relatives asking nosy questions, guilty like we've committed a crime - so we put the men thru hell to ensure they are "quality products" worthy of the long haul. :O)
It just seems so much easier to run away from it all...thanks for the support da...