On Judging a Book by its Cover


I just finished reading a book called “The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency” by Alexander McCall Smith. It’s the first book in its series, and I bought it in the hopes of starting a collection. A short flashback is necessary here…

Three years ago, I read “The Full Cupboard of Life” by the same author, which is the fifth book in the series – and what prompted me to pick that one among the array on the bookshelf was the cover. The picture was of the contents of a kitchen cupboard. Nothing spectacular in this I realize, but to me it stood out splendidly. Why? Because, right at the top of this cupboard I noticed two products that I know by sight from my childhood years: Ricoffy (instant coffee) and Cremora (coffee creamer). These products are not available in India, but they are available in South Africa (where I grew up), and of course in Botswana where the stories unfold. The mere sight of these two products made me want to know more because, of all the coffee and creamers available in the market, the author chose to put in the two that I grew up on. Now you must understand that these images were not that big, nor were they photographs. The artist has gone into the minute details of revealing the items within a Tswana woman’s cupboard just enough that only those who know what it is can identify it. Also, because the stories are set in Botswana, and because I grew up very close to the border, I am able to relate to the people and their culture in a way that only those who grew up in Africa will understand, as I am sure Mr. A.M. smith understands. Their names, their mannerisms, and their love for Africa speak to me and unearth the beauty of a land that is slowly becoming a fading memory.

The main character, Precious Ramotswe or Mma Ramotswe as she is popularly known, doesn’t fail to bring a smile to my face in the seeming simplicity of her wisdom. Her adventures also take her through my small town, so when she talks about our railway station, I see the image in my head as though I was standing there myself. Through her eyes I see a vision of the Africa that I left behind. It is with books like these that I revisit the people I once knew, the people I failed to know better. As I moved from page to page, the African sunset comes alive in my head and the faint whispers of Nature make themselves heard. I know that if I want to go back in time, to a place that will bring me peace with the mere memory of it, I only have to think of Africa. I wish there were more people like Precious Ramotswe, an honourable woman who takes pride in her accomplishments and her heritage. I wish to start the very next book in this series so I may keep alive what I was scared I had lost. I wish for this same book to make itself known to others who have some connection to Africa, no matter how small, so that their memories may be awakened. I wish to go back some day and see Africa for what it has the potential to be, not lose hope for what it has become…

Comments

  1. wow jane, i really dint know abt ur blog...u better start bloggin more/....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dear jane, nice post...i know its so u and fun to read...do continue blogging regularly..i really love to read anythin u write, mail or posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur post ends on a high note and I like it babe! And I judge the book ALWAYS by the cover... Unfortunately a lotta other things too.

    So u wanna go back to Africa?!?!?!?.. I always thot Chennai was where u wanted to be and considered home!

    And by the way, I think u shud write a book smtime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Neetu...it's difficult to decide at times which is home: the place where I grew up or the place that grew in me. We were brainwashed to always consider India as the motherland, so we were loyal to the "idea" of the country of our ancestors - some chose to accept it and some rejected it. I might have rejected it had my folks not sent me down here to fend for myself. I like what India brought out in me. But books like this one awaken memories(?) and I can't help wonder if I was African in some past life. Similarly, M.S. Subbalakshmi's "Suprabhatham" - though I have NO idea what it means, awakens other memories(?) that evoke similar "Indian" associations. It's weird - but thank God it's all in my head.

    Kel, I had hoped to keep this blog a "secret" :O) ...I know I have revealed enough for you to figure it out - but I'm not ready for the world to see it yet.

    I would love it if you guys would leave your comments when you can though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well.. I would say the place tat grew in u!!!

    But remmeber tat line from Sweet Home Alabama - "U can take the girl out of the town. But u cant take the town of the girl".. So true I guess!

    So girl, the lucky thing is tat u have two countries to call home. So more found memories. And tatz nice! Just don't let the ideals tat each country endorse get into a conflict! But cherish both... Look at it as a buffet meal. Pick only what u like. Don't pick all cuz u paid for it..Am i making any sense at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, I just started reading his stories. Liking it. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paralysis

A Picture Speaks

Friends Like Us